Thursday, August 18, 2005

Suddenly Financial Adviser, Suddenly Not....

The interview with Nicholas Goh went by so fast that suddenly Nicholas just called in his HR manager to process my PR application form. After that, he set me up for 2 tests which is necessary for those who wish to work in this field. I paid $200 for the $210 test because I did not have the change. The HR manager, Merle was a nice person. She was friendly and helped me by checking out the requirements of the forms and told me what to bring. As I did not have the necessary documents at that point, I made an appointment to meet her again yesterday.

I went back happily thinking, "Ok. Financial adviser, an opportunity to try something new and learn something else. Don't worry. Everything will turn out alright." AS IF! There must have been something deep inside of me that is rebelling. Yesterday morning, I received a sudden call from Tata Consultancy Services asking if I would be free to do their tests and interview TODAY! I thought "What the heck? I've already accepted another job. Is ok, I can look for Tata next year if I want to." Again, deep down inside, I felt uneasy. I had an aversion to work as a financial adviser? What am I seeking?

Afternoon came, a friend/resume adviser of mine was online asked if I got a job. I told him yea, non-IT. He was shocked and I told him about the Tata offer. He said that I should try it out and my employment contract says that I can break it anytime. *BAM* This was the point where all my inner thoughts came out and I felt like screaming... I mean, $210 will disappear and I'll be thrown back into the point of job uncertainty... Anyway, I was in a dilemma for quite sometime and talked this out with Loon......... He just helped me clear my doubts a little. Deep down inside me, I felt like quitting the insurance job. On the surface, I give myself 'an wei' by sugar-coating the job opportunity. In the end, I called Tata back and begged the HR manager to send me the details for the event. After that, I called the Merle and told her that I wanted to withdraw. It took me quite some time to build up some courage to say "I want to quit". I thought rejecting job offers are easy. Although I'm not in the job yet but it is also quite hard....

At the moment, I'm jobless once more and thrown back into the world of uncertainties.

No comments: