Monday, October 03, 2005

Countdown to India

Although the exact date that my colleagues and I will be leaving for India is yet to be confirmed, the HR manager has said that we will start our orientation in India on 10th October. According to our admin officer, she said she would be booking for 9th October as soon as our visas have been approved. I am feeling very excited. After 5 months of idling, finally I have something to do again.

For the past week, I was virtually gaming every day. Some of my friends were boiling when they found out that I was on "gaji buta". Well, I did receive my pay slip for the 5 days I "worked" last month. It is equivalent to what one would earn during internships for a month. They were mainly boiling because as one friend puts it - "Melampau! I suffer for 2 months get $500 only. You play DoTA for 5 days and get the same amount!" To add to this friend's anger, I replied "It was very tiring. I have to study the strategies and put up with all the lagging problems. My my... *sigh*... so shiong eh~" Of course, with this reply, I should expect a beating which I did receive. :S .. Abuthen har... payslip have but money haven't receive... I think must be my bank account number error. Well, I'll check it out with the admin officer when I see her again.

Other than DoTA-ing, I've been reading up on India and especially on Chennai. Check out Wikipedia's Chennai facts. In addition to this from Wikipedia, I've also been reading the Chennai SN package (Student Nominee package - AIESEC reading materials for incoming trainees to the place) that EL borrowed me. This is what makes AIESEC trainees having an edge over others. It helped me understand abit more on the local setting. Wikipedia provided facts but not how to handle the culture change and other issues. I learnt some survival tips for when being in Chennai and had set some expectations straight. One interesting fact is that one can live quite well (better than most there) on about 7000Rs (approx. S$270) per month with food and accommodation included. Most importantly, I have to be culturally sensitive and open minded. Ooo... I can't wait, Chennai in 6 days.

3 comments:

Greenlamb said...

But will you be acclimatised to the food there?

CY Chai said...

Food would be a challenge. But hey, i have a better position than most since I'm ok with eating spicy food. According to the SN package, it is very common to have stomach problems in the first month if one is not careful. An advice from a fren is that eat only idly - which is a type of very boiled food - ensures that no bacterias...hahaha... oh well.. u'll hear more abt food when i'm there :P

EeLing said...

Hey haha..first observe the surrounding of the restaurant then only decide to eat ba. And don;t think u shud ever buy food from stalls by the roadside ( even sometimes they looks so tasty). I nv really have chance to try the true indian food coz was at hotel all the time with many International people who complain that the food shud be less spicy ( when we thought it is already not spicy) . But when we finally got chance to eat the 'true' Indian food at airport..I must say..It is so so GOOD and yes finally spicy!! Haha so funny, 2 weeks in india, the only time we ever tasted spicy food in India was during the final hours we were at India.