Yesterday morning I went to Tata Consultancy Services, supposedly just to collect the contract then return home to read it thoroughly. Instead, the HR manager led me to another room to read the contract first so that I can clarify some of the terms in the contract. At the meeting room, I joined another potential joinee who was already reading his contract. I happily started to read my first employment contract. The contract seemed alright to me. I quickly flipped to the salary section to check if they are paying me what I requested for and...... THEY ARE. So I was very happy and could just sign without reading on. But of course, it would be foolish of me. What if there are some clauses that suddenly prevent me from doing something? So I continued.
When the guy beside me finished reading his contract, he started to ask me some questions regarding the job scope and length of time we'll be out of the country. In addition, he said that the salary was low. I asked him how much he was paid. He answered S$30k annually. I was like "You are a fresh grad also, you will be getting more than me and still not happy?? -.-" " He then explained about the potential salary he might get if in KPMG ($2k but will reach $3.5k in 1.5year) or PSA ($2.8k). Ok lor... I told him that the opportunity to go overseas is different mah and we'll be paid for our stay overseas. He wanted to make sure that the allowance package was high if he were to join. He went over to the HR to try and negotiate for a higher salary. The HR manager didn't give in. Anyway, he took his contract back to reconsider.
For me, I went to clarify some of the unclear terms in the contract and what the 13th month salary meant. I just found out that it is a common practice here in Singapore that most firms will pay 1 month's worth of salary at the end of every year completed. After clarifying my doubts, without any hesitation, I signed the contract. Voila~ CY is now "Trainee Engineer" at Tata Consultancy Services.
Thursday, September 08, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Haha Welcome to the Pool of Engineers! Where all the jokes on Engineers are because they ahem we are so nerdy and only an Engineer can understand the jokes. Muahaha. Tata.... Oops that wasn't meant as a pun. So what does Tata do? A TATA box in a gene sequence?
TATA itself is one of the oldest and largest group in India. TCS which I am under is one of the group. Go here to learn more http://www.tata.com/tcs/
As for being labelled as engineer... er.... your comments are abit discouraging. hahaha...
Congrats! LOL! TATA box in gene sequences HAHAHA! good one LOL!
Post a Comment