Sunday, November 04, 2007

Some thoughts

Another 2 months have passed with me not blogging a post. Have I been busy? Maybe. Actually over the past 2 weeks, I have now grown fearful of server installations especially Microsoft patches. I could not have imagined how difficult it was to get a the system's applications to run after patch installations. I mean, everyone who has a Windows XP pc knows that installing means clicking next, next, next, finish and maybe restart if asked to. It isn't that much different for a server except that due to the complexity of servers and the customisations that have been done on them, there are some unknown compatibility issues of standard patches with different systems. However, the horror of doing all these installations is not because it causes the system to fail. System failing isn't a big deal in technical terms BUT with a bunch of managers whose only concern is that their system is restored A.S.A.P, it just spells trouble. Fortunately I was able to resolve them "in time".

Anyway, I want to rant out the details here but guess I shan't. Blogging too much about work is a bad idea. I can't say that my current situation is good but I don't think I am totally beaten yet. It is an 'interesting' experience to be Project Lead and given a preview of more to come. The main thing right now I feel is that I'm still a n00b in this. With the added responsibility, my old ways of working isn't effective anymore. My colleague once quoted - "Writing emails is like a game of chess". I felt that quote was quite true. Every email that you write, you have to anticipate how your receiver will respond to it and prepare for the next move... until 'Checkmate!'.

Tomorrow is another day. I'll just have to make it a GREAT one.

No comments: