Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Week 7 ended? er..... mid of week 8?

I have been so caught up in my labs last week that I did not really have much time to come online... or specifically, to blog. I did manage to sneak out from work to go online on Saturday though. This was mainly because it is very difficult to travel due to the heavy floods. The main entrance to Tidel Park which is situated next to my office is totally flooded. The drains are like mini-rivers and the roads are waist high. We practically had to swim. Fortunately, the night before, my sports shoes were already soaked due to the floods near my place of stay so on Saturday I wore sandals to work. It was very convenient to just pull up my long pants and walk through the floods as compared to my friend who has hush-puppy leather shoes. Poor puppy, it's crying...

Anyway, I guess my friends and I should consider ourselves lucky (or maybe unlucky) as we're like the bringer of rains to Chennai. I mean, what is the probability of 4 waves of heavy rain hitting a city that has been experiencing drought for 3 years until we came. The first wave was a very powerful cyclone, the next two were just heavy monsoon rains and the most recent one, another cyclone. The cyclone that hit recently, well it was not as terrible as the first one. However, due to the waves of rain coming almost every week, Chennai is not prepared to handle it. The floods and water logging problems get worse and worse. People were evacuated from the low-lands to schools and other higher areas. Schools and colleges are closed here. The worst I think is when they released the dam. The river was filled to the brim and the surrounding slums were all flooded. It was a very "unique" sight because the river was usually dry. You can sometimes see the river bed and now it is filled.

Fortunately, this time the cyclone I felt was not as destructive as the first one. But who am I to judge as I am not affected much by this. Everyday I see in the newspaper, there are hundreds of people in need of food and proper shelter because of the rains and floods. For me, I only have my labs to worry about :S.... Just realised that I'm down to my final 3 weeks of training.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

# weeks more rite? :)..i left less than 1 week in tuas...Time really flies...Anyway...when u coming back then?