Thursday, August 09, 2007

Happy 42nd Birthday S'pore!

It was a good holiday today. Am feeling very tired after the exhausting queueing at JB customs today. There were so many "Malaysia aliens" were trying to visit the country from Singapore. Being an alien to Malaysia myself, I was also forced into the queue. Crawled with the crowd for more than 1 hour. I could feel my lower back extremely strained - been standing 'straight' for too long. It was a great relieve as I exit the Malaysian customs. I hope the Malaysian authorities can do something about this bottleneck. Passing through Singapore customs is a breeze but on entry into JB, the whole situation changes - I think us non-Malaysians have to avoid entering Malaysia through JB during S'pore public holidays.

Had a GREAT meal at Secret Recipe - Irish Lamb Stew (somehow the mash potato sucks but overall, it's still the award winning stew from Secret Recipe - highly recommended), Frosty Lemon Tea and the all-popular SR Marble Cheese Cake for desert. Ah.... life is good. After lunch, it was already 4pm or so... and everything just went downhill for me. I could feel my energy level drop all the way after walking awhile (less than an hour?). By the time it was 530pm, I beh tahan liaw - feel like sleeping. If there's a comfy bed, I could easily drop and sleep on the spot - so came back to S'pore. Coming back to Singapore was a smoother journey - there was no queue at the JB customs - only queue at the bus stop. However, since I was taking the Singapore-Johor Express (SJE) bus, the queue was "acceptable" as compared with the SBS/SMRT buses which are always packed to the brim such that the interior is so dark (due to people squeezing in body-to-body), you can't see anything inside. Am so glad to be back in 'orderly' Singapore. I think that after being here for 5years now, I feel very spoilt by Singapore's "orderliness".

Anyway - reached Bugis Queen's St bus station at 730pm - took a cab back home to Farrer Park and went to an adjacent block (which has a good view of the city) to catch the NDP fireworks. This year's fireworks is amazing - there were 2 sets! Here some pictures of the fireworks I took:
View of the city from an adjacent block
(29th floor balcony)

Fireworks 1 (smoke formed)

Fireworks 2 (smoke covered most of the fireworks... sad) :(

No comments: